Wanted: PHP Backend Superhero
Wanted: PHP Backend Superhero
What you tell your friends you do
“I build web apps. And no – I will not fix your computer.”
What you will really be doing
- Control the development of your own product group
- Make architectural designs for backend functionality
- Build micro-services that build your product
- Design and build developer friendly APIs
- Create and improve models
- Work on core/framework level functionality
- Performance optimisations
- Complex debugging and profiling
- Improve our scores on Scrutinizer CI
- Work directly with our admins to get your new functionality into production
If this is your bread-and-butter, and are up for a challenge, this one’s for you!
You are a veteran PHP backend developer that likes to challenge yourself
- You hack on, and research into, challenging projects in your free time
- You archive your e-mail in Elastic Search
- You enjoy teaching and helping team-mates
- You enjoy working with front-end developers to create finished products for end-users
- You pick up whenever something needs attention, even if it’s not directly in your job description
- You will be using the right tools for whatever job will be thrown at you. Choices that were made in the past are not rules.
- You prioritize your own work together with your team and Product Owner. You will receive immediate feedback from end users and you will have a lot of opportunities to experiment.
- You will work in a motivated team to meet ambitious deadlines. There is always a budget for good ideas.
- Big data is your guru, your gut feeling isn’t. To measure is to know.
What we have worked on last quarter
Faceted search : Search and filter real-time product information, hundreds of times per second, for 90.000 products in 280 shops.
Responsive design : One codebase, lots of devices, but always the optimal user experience.
Reviews : A completely new infrastructure for better performance and scalability. Improved usability for both customers and moderators. More reviews, more interaction, less spam, better conversion rates.
What a day in the office might look like
Required experience and Skills
- Preferably university-level degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or Mathematics.
- Minimum of five years experience in a similar position.
- You are a Wizard when it comes to web technology and you like to coach your colleagues.
- Demonstratable advanced experience in Symfony or Silex is a must.
- You enjoy working on large distributed applications.
- Demonstrable skills in backend software design and development.
- Experienced with technologies like messaging (activemq/rabbitmq/stomp), caching (memcache, redis), nosql, search (elastic search), objectstorage (gridfs, s3, etc..).
- You have developed developer-friendly APIs.
- You understand and investigate what a user wants and feels.
- You enjoy working closely with Ops and propose/communicate infrastructural improvements.
- Room for you to do things your way.
- Lots of things you can learn through our in-house academy.
- 25 days of paid leave if you promise to come back.
- We like to inspire your passion for technology by giving you the opportunity to visit events.
- An office in the heart of Rotterdam so there’s plenty to do when you’re not at work.
- And yes, we also have the industry standard perks such as free beer, creative wednesday afternoon and awesome parties.
Want to know more?
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for more information. We’re looking forward to meeting you!